If you’re a human being, then you know that coffee is the stuff dreams are made of. And if you work in a modern office, then you know that coffee is to corporate America as gasoline is to gas-guzzling SUVs. Of course, it doesn’t matter if you get coffee at the local indie coffee house, from those little disposable pods, or from the gross office coffee pot, it’s inevitable that some of that coffee will end up on the office floor.
As a result, office carpets all over America are covered in coffee stains of all sizes. And while there’s no substitute for regular, professional carpet cleaning services, sometimes you just need to spot clean a coffee stain before it sets in for good. So if you’re looking for DIY carpet cleaning techniques to get rid of coffee stains, and fast, then we’ve got you covered.
Since Americans spend at least 1,896 hours at work every year on average, it’s important to keep your office space clean. So the next time you spill some coffee, keep these DIY carpet cleaning techniques in mind:
- Don’t Forget To Blot! If a lot of coffee has been spilled, don’t forget to blot before breaking out the advanced carpet cleaning techniques on this list! Simply use a rag, towel, or paper towel to soak up the excess coffee.
- Baby Wipes: It’s amazing what you can do with a package of baby wipes on hand! The brand doesn’t even matter, just be sure to break out the wipes as soon as the spill occurs. Simply wipe the affected carpet with a baby wipe until the stain disappears.
- Vinegar: White vinegar is an excellent carpet cleaning solution for any water-soluble stains (think tea, juice, and yes, coffee). Combine three parts vinegar to one part cold water, then soak the stain in the mixture (pro tip: use a spray bottle!). Let the carpet dry, then wash and scrub like you would any other stain.
- Hot Water: There’s a reason professional office cleaning services utilize steam cleaners! Not only do they sanitize carpets and surfaces, but they are highly effective at removing stains. Boil some water in a tea kettle, then allow it to cool to 150 to 200 degrees. Being very careful not to spill water on any nearby human beings, slowly pour the hot water over the stain. Just remember that near-boiling water can damage some synthetic carpet fibers.
- Club Soda: This DIY stain cleaning technique works great on carpets as well as clothes. Simply add some club soda to a spray bottle, then spray the coffee stain with club soda. Allow the soda to soak in for up to 15 minutes, then rinse and wipe with cold water and a rag.
While these carpet coffee stain cleaning techniques work great for life’s little spills, don’t forget that carpets need to be professionally cleaned too! Have a professional cleaning service visit your office at least twice a year to keep your carpets looking fresh and coffee stain free!